Friday, February 04, 2005

UTH and Thermostat Talk

We all know that a UTH is one of those "essentials" that one should have in their crabitat, so that the crabbies don't get a cold spot in their home. However, how do you know if you are baking your crabs or not? I was very worried about this and I knew that a rheostat just wouldn't be enough security for me, so in December I went out and started looking for a thermostat for the crabitat. The only thing that came close was this zoomed 500 one that didn't really look like it would be sufficient, because there were no printed temperature settings that were in numbers, they simply said "low, med and high." Getting discouraged, I started searching online without any real sucess, so I tried eBay and found exactly what I was looking for. Its called the Alife 1000 Watt, 3 Outlet Reptile Remote Sensor Temperature Controller. Comes complete with a probe that you can stick in the sand over the UTH. Anyhow, I bought it and it works very well. I set it at 72 Farenheight and everything works very well and I do not have to rely on the temperature gauge in the tank to tell me that it is set right. So, I can sleep soundly knowing my babies aren't being baked alive.

Kazabee.com sells them for $24.95, a deal compared to the $50 I was going to spend on the substandard zoomed one. So, if you want one, I recommend it highly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to hermies
Powered by groups.yahoo.com