Friday, December 17, 2004

A Little Bit of Naked Rigby


Here is Rigby back in the new shell. I came home tonight to find him pathetically naked in the main tank. So, using the glass cup trick, I was able to get him back into a shell and now I have isolated him in case he is stressed.

The Glass Trick: For Naked Hermies
Take the naked hermit crab and give him as well as his old and new shell a stress coat bath. Then put the hermit crab with the two shells or one shell in a glass cup. Put the glass cup in the isolation tank and wait it out for the Hermit crab to go back in his shell. If this takes longer than an hour, mist the crab with stresscoat water or dechlorinated water, so it doesn't dry out. Make sure that the iso tank is in a dark and quiet area. The reasoning behind the little space, is that it saves the Hermit crab's energy. Naked crabs tend to panic and run naked all over the tank and expend all their energy. In addition, the crab is not going anywhere and no one is coming in and it realizes it is better to be in the shell, plus it feels more secure about claiming its shell. Anyhow, I got this off of http://www.hermit-crabs.com/FAQ.html and it worked for me, so I thought I would pass the tip along. Plus there is a lot of other helpful things you can find in that webpage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to hermies
Powered by groups.yahoo.com